No rule to make target `-lmilter', needed by `dccm'.

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar@fantomas.sk
Mon Jul 21 10:44:51 UTC 2014

On 20.07.14 18:54, Vernon Schryver wrote:
>I think that dependency is only via DPADD in gmake.inc.  Are you
>using a version of GNU make that does not understand
>    foo: -lbar
>as a dependency on bar.so etc.?
>From at least one version of the GNU make info text:
>
>       When a prerequisite's name has the form `-lNAME', `make' handles it
>    specially by searching for the file `libNAME.so', and, if it is not
>    found, for the file `libNAME.a' in the current directory, in
>    directories specified by matching `vpath' search paths and the `VPATH'
>    search path, and then in the directories `/lib', `/usr/lib', and
>    `PREFIX/lib' (normally `/usr/local/lib', but MS-DOS/MS-Windows versions
>    of `make' behave as if PREFIX is defined to be the root of the DJGPP

aha, didn't know this.
I am sorry for misinterpreting the error message based on old knowledge :-)

This is Debian GNU/Linux 7.6 (i386).

the libmilter-dev package is installed:

libmilter-dev: /usr/lib/libmilter/libmilter.a
libmilter-dev: /usr/lib/libmilter/libmilter.so
libmilter1.0.1: /usr/lib/libmilter.so.1.0.1

seems that ./configure finds that:

checking for milter header and libraries for dccm... yes

Yet I get the error:

==> dccm
cc -I../thrlib   -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_GNU_SOURCE   -I../include    -c -o dccm.o dccm.c
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `-lmilter', needed by `dccm'.  Stop.
make: *** [all] Error 2

Linux IS user friendly, it's just selective who its friends are...