building DCC - instructions in source

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar@fantomas.sk
Mon Jul 21 09:07:08 UTC 2014

On 20.07.14 18:11, Vernon Schryver wrote:
>What need is that?  Again, the difference between the INSTALL.html.in
>and the generated INSTALL.html is that the .in file has @X@ placeholders
>for some file and directory names that you choose with ./configure.

That is the point. You mix instructions needed to configure and build DCC
with informations about how it was built.

As someone who built tens of packages I expect clear README or INSTALL file,
plaintext, no metadata, just after unpacking.

>Any choice for those file and directory names in the published DCC
>tarball would be wrong for many (probably most modern) installations.
>"@libexecdir@/updatedcc" in the INSTALL.html.in file is clear as well
>as more accurate than obvious alternatives such as "/var/dcc/updatedcc"

>I need the INSTALL.html for the web pages.  10 years ago I shipped
>INSTALL.txt files.  I stopped because the costs of maintaining them
>(i.e. maintaining machinery to generate presentable .txt files) wasn't
>worthwhile.
>
>I could ship both INSTALL.html.in and INSTALL.html, but that INSTALL.html
>would necessarily differ from the ultimate INSTALL.html.  Shipping
>both source and files generated from that source is too effective as
>a recipe for confusion and errors.

Maybe you could split this file into two separate files, one containing
simple instructions on how to run ./configure and its options/requirements?

Such files are historically named "INSTALL"
The rest of valuable info could be moved to other file probably

M$ Win's are shit, do not use it !