Cannot compile with gcc 4.8

Vernon Schryver vjs@rhyolite.com
Sun Jun 15 16:37:35 UTC 2014

There is more to this mess.

Consider the ./configure generated from the following configure.ac
by autoconf in archlinux-2014.06.01 with an empty config.h

AC_PREREQ([2.69])
AC_INIT([ctest], 0.0)
AC_CONFIG_SRCDIR([configure.ac])
AC_CONFIG_HEADERS([config.h])
AC_PROG_CC
AC_CHECK_HEADERS(byteswap.h)

If you run the resulting ./configure with CPPFLAGS="-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2"
and check config.log, you'll find several "#warning _FORTIFY_SOURCE..."
messages including one for the AC_CHECK_HEADERS(byteswap.h),
but ./configure nevertheless says that byteswap.h is ok.
I suspect that is due to bugs in the current autoconf.  It seems
to me that it should complain that but byteswap.h can be compiled
but not pre-processed.   (When asked to pre-process, the current
autoconf likes to compile and then also pre-process.)

See also