open(/var/dcc/map): Permission denied

Vernon Schryver vjs@rhyolite.com
Thu Sep 22 19:26:30 UTC 2011

> From: "Aldo Necci" <necci@dia.uniroma3.it>
> To: dcc@rhyolite.com

> SpamAssassin is configured to use the right path, this is its configuration:
> use_dcc 1
> dcc_path /usr/local/bin/dccproc
> dcc_home /var/dcc
> dcc_dccifd_path /var/dcc/dccifd

Are you using a current version of SpamAssassin?

Have you tried the SpamAssassin DCC test?   I've forgotten how to
invoke it and do not see it mentioned in
http://spamassassin.apache.org/full/3.3.x/doc/Mail_SpamAssassin_Plugin_DCC.html

I understood that the SpamAssassin people were going to ship the
new version of the SpamAssassin DCC plugin in
/usr/var/dcc/build/dcc/misc/DCC.pm
If that file differs from the DCC.pm you are using,
it might be entertaining to try it.

> I don't see any UDP connection after dccifd started,
> the output of the command "netstat -pu" is empty and
> there isn't any firewall (I disabled the default software firewall).

Is dccifd running?  If dccifd is running and SpamAssassin can reach
the UNIX domain socket at /var/dcc/dccifd, then SpamAssassin should
never try dccproc.  Since SpamAssassin cannot use dccproc to reach
/var/dcc/map, one might expect problems reaching /var/dcc/dccifd.

If dccifd is not running, then perhaps /var/dcc/libexec/rcDCC has
not been sym-linked to the right /etc/rc* directories.

> > Are you doing anything with "jails" or chroot in mail processing?
>
> No, I let the default settings.

Do the default settings involve jails or chroot?
I cannot guess after some Google for Scientific Linux.
Are you using sendmail, postfix, or something else?

> > What happens with a manual invocation of dccproc like mine above?
>
> Nothing, the log directory under /var/dcc/ is also empty.

What kind of nothing happens?  When you feed `dccproc -C` a test
message like
    asdf: asdf

    asdf
does dccproc emit the X-DCC header?  Or do you see the complaint
about /var/dcc/map that SpamAssassin sees?

> Yes I think the same because on previous versions of Linux I used
> (Scientific Linux 5) and previous
> version of DCC everything was OK. The commands "./configure" and

Could you re-install DCC to use the username/UID used by SpamAssassin?
That should make the setuid bit on /usr/local/bin/dccproc irrelevant.