open(/var/dcc/map): Permission denied

Aldo Necci necci@dia.uniroma3.it
Thu Sep 22 08:26:49 UTC 2011

On Wed, September 21, 2011 18:45, Vernon Schryver wrote:

> What is the significance of the period (.) after the permission bits?

Scientific Linux 6 uses the dot after the permission bits as a symbol
of "this is the end of permission bits".

> Just now I tried:
>    pax -rzf ...
>    cd dcc-1.3.*
>    ./configure --homedir=/tmp/dcc --bindir=/tmp/dcc/bin --mandir=/tmp/dcc
>    make install
>
> That made:
>   -r-sr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  919480 Sep 21 16:18 bin/dccproc*
>   -rw-------  1 root  wheel    7668 Sep 21 16:18 map
>
> I see no problems with dccproc:
>     % bin/dccproc -C
>     asdf: asdf
>
>     asdf
>
> Does the `cdcc` command also fail?  Cdcc is also installed set-UID
> too the --with-uid value.

The command "cdcc" works as well and this is its permission bits:
-r-sr-xr-x.  1 root bin  179830 Sep 21 17:38 cdcc

> Is /usr/local/bin be mounted with an option that turns off set-UID
> or set-UID=0?

No, the directory /usr/local/bin is on a filesystem under /

> Is it possible that that the dccproc used by SpamAssassin (or
> whatever) is not /usr/local/bin/dccproc but some other file such
> as /usr/etc/bin/dccproc?   If SpamAssassin is involved, is
> SpamAssassin configured to use /usr/local/bin/dccproc?

SpamAssassin is configured to use the right path, this is its configuration:
use_dcc 1
dcc_path /usr/local/bin/dccproc
dcc_home /var/dcc
dcc_dccifd_path /var/dcc/dccifd

Any explanation on
http://spamassassin.apache.org/full/3.3.x/doc/Mail_SpamAssassin_Plugin_DCC.html

Even if I comment the second line and let SpamAssassin to find the
path for dccproc, I get the same log:
dccproc[1982]: open(/var/dcc/map): Permission denied

Another serious question is:
I don't see any UDP connection after dccifd started,
the output of the command "netstat -pu" is empty and
there isn't any firewall (I disabled the default software firewall).

> Are you doing anything with "jails" or chroot in mail processing?

No, I let the default settings.

> What happens with a manual invocation of dccproc like mine above?

Nothing, the log directory under /var/dcc/ is also empty.

> It seems likely that the problem is related to something unique about
> your system or DCC installation.  I think there are many installations
> of version 1.3.140 using the default setting of root for --with-uid.

Yes I think the same because on previous versions of Linux I used
(Scientific Linux 5) and previous
version of DCC everything was OK. The commands "./configure" and
"make install" don't send any error and work well.

Thanks,
Aldo Necci