Trouble building dccm

Dean Maluski dean@n1ety.com
Tue Mar 8 00:19:52 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-03-01 at 03:23 +0000, Vernon Schryver wrote:
> > From: Dean Maluski <dean@n1ety.com>
> > To: dcc@rhyolite.com
>
> > Running Fedora 12.
> > I had trouble with dcc finding sendmail sources.
> > Created a symlink then seemed to get a successful build.
>
> symlink from where to where?
>
> > Installed but watching maillog I'm getting
> > fopen(/var/run/dcc/dccm.pid): No such file or directory
>
> Is there a problem with the /var/run/dcc directory?
>
> > Feb 28 21:26:02 zeke dccm[8549]: 1.3.138 listening to /var/run/dcc/dccm
> > with /var/dcc
>
> > Feb 28 21:26:02 zeke dccm[8549]: DCC: Unable to bind to
> > port /var/run/dcc/dccm: No such file or directory
> > Feb 28 21:26:02 zeke dccm[8549]: DCC: Unable to create listening socket
> > on conn /var/run/dcc/dccm
>
> Those error messages suggest something wrong with the /var/run directory
> as far as dccm is concerned with whatever UID dccm is using.
>

> > There is a copy of dccm in /var/dcc/libexec
> > but as you might expect running start-dccm a process is not started
> > in /var/run
>
> Is dccm not started or does dccm start and then quit?
> Was there a "dccm[8549] ... fatal error" message from dccm?
>

> > I then tried update-dcc, first error is listed below
>
> > warning: 	*** cannot build dccm without mfapi.h ***
> > warning: 	*** cannot build dccm without sendmail libraries ***
>
> > I moved sources from root's directory to /usr/src/redhat and started all
> > over.
>
> What is meant by "move sources"?  /var/dcc/libexec/updatedcc would
> not put anything in ~root unless ~root were one of the ./configure
> --homedir --bindir --libexecdir --mandir --with-installroot
>
> > Rebuilt milter, sendmail, and dcc, seemed to go OK so did a make
> > install, same problem.
>
> Which same problem?  Permission or existence problems with /var/run?
>
> > What other details can I provide??
>
> What ./configure settings are you using?
> /var/dcc/libexec/updatedcc (or wherever you set ./configure --libexecdir)
> runs ./configure with the settings from when updatedcc was last built
> by ./configure.  updatedcc announces what it does.  You can also
> examine the end of the shell script to find the `configure` command.
>

> > mfapi.h does exist in sendmail src tree.
>
> The DCC ./configure program must be able to find the sendmail milter
> header files in a standard place or the sendmail source tree.
> That's one of the points of this text from the INSTALL.html and .txt files
> in the DCC source or http://www.dcc-servers.net/dcc/INSTALL.html
>
>     The sendmail interface, dccm, must be built with the sendmail
>     source and object tree. By default, the makefiles look for
>     native sendmail libraries (e.g. on FreeBSD), an installed
>     "package" (e.g. on FreeBSD), or a directory named sendmail
>     parallel to the DCC source and object tree. Those who regularly
>     build new versions of sendmail may find it convenient to make
>     a symbolic link there to their current sendmail. Otherwise
>     configure the dccm makefile with

> [...]

Thank You,
I had to manually create the /var/run/dcc directory.
I used the ./configure --with-sendmail=/some/where/sendmail and defined
I think more explicitly than before.
I did this Friday eve and got working.
Not sure what went wrong before as I thought I had done this correctly
with an adjacent symlink.
Slow to work on this as I have a php/database I was trying to finish and
deploy last week.
Just in time Friday night though as my primary Centos server running DCC
up and croaked Friday.

All good now, Thanks Again,
Dean