DNSBL -Bset:URL mode

Kostik koc@fax.ru
Tue Jan 25 15:18:24 UTC 2011

Hello!

Vernon Schryver wrote:
> Maintaining a DNSBL for non-standard or old standard (i.e. not UTF8)
> URLs in spam is expensive.  Such spam often uses "throw-away" domain
> names that are used for only a short time.

I agree, it is reasonable. I'll try to solve my problem as something else.

> Those messages were logged only with -Bset:debug=2 or higher.  In
> version 1.3.135 I changed them to be logged only with -Bset:debug=3
> or higher.  They should be logged when you are trying to figure out
> the results of checking a URL and especially why a second instance
> of a URL in a mail message hits the per-message cache and is not checked.

Cool. Works for me. Thank you.

>> gethostbyname(xxxxxx-xxxxx.ru...dbl.spamhaus.org): Unknown server error
>> ---
>> Is it possible to add the magic that would cut off the dot-garbage at the
>> end of domains? Because many email clients do such domains clickable for
>> users.

Here are a few examples (1.3.135):
---
gethostbyname(.adobe.com.dbl.spamhaus.org): Unknown server error
---

And a lot of notes like:
---
DNSBL invalid domain name "www.xxxxxxxx.ru,"
DNSBL invalid domain name "my.xxxxxx.ru)"
DNSBL invalid domain name "dev.xxxxx.com:"
DNSBL invalid domain name "love.xxxxxxx.ru;"
---

And like:
---
DNSBL invalid domain name "news.cxxxxx.comid=xxxxxx"
DNSBL invalid domain name "click.game.e.xxxxx.comqs=b4d958295xx"
---
Looks like a sign of the beginning of a query string missing:
news.cxxxxx.comid=xxxxxx -> news.cxxxxx.com?id=xxxxxx
(but I do not know whether it was in the raw message)

=kostik