Whitelisting on a per domain basis

Tue Dec 14 19:40:49 UTC 2010

> From: Matthew Richardson

> I have a server which acts as a terminating MX server for a number of
> domains and which then relays the mail to the server holding the mailboxes.
> In doing so, it performs a number of checks, including address vaildation,
> DCC including greylisting, and anti-virus.
>
> Setting user specific whitelist entries with per-user whiteclnt files
> (obviously!) works well.
>
> My question is whether it is possible to have a whiteclnt file (or
> something similar) which would allow whitelisting on a per destination
> domain basis.  For example rather than having an entry for
> user@example.com, having an entry which would apply to all email sent to
> example.com.

There is no directly equivalent to the mail_host name for whitelisting
recipient domain names.  However, there solutions.  Which DCC client
program (dccm, dccifd, or dccproc) is used and how is it connected
to the SMTP MX server?

  - If dccm is used, then sendmail.cf/mc rules (perhaps in LOCAL_RULESETS
     or local_check_relay) that set the ${dcc_notspam} macro should
     be effective.

  - If SpamAssassin with dccifd or dccproc is used, then it would probably
     be easiest to add to SpamAssassin itself or to the DCC.pm plugin
     to ignore DCC answers.

  - Another strategy would be to add a locally invented SMTP header like
     "X-no-dcc:ok" or "x-no-check:dcc" to the message before dccm, dccifd,
      or dccproc see the message, and then use -Sx-no-dcc in /var/dcc/dcc_conf
      and a line like "ok substitute x-no-dcc ok" in /var/dcc/whiteclnt