DNSBL -Bset:URL mode

Fri Nov 26 19:36:03 UTC 2010

> From: Kostik <koc@fax.ru>
> To: dcc@rhyolite.com

> 01fAlM DNSBL URL discovery.rambler.ru tgt_cache hit discovery.rambler.ru

> Body: f006c224 66de988b c5a7285f f7498b8a       0   100
> Fuz1: f616d784 f2f8265a a1a28f6e 3e0e703a       0   300
>
> result: accept
> ---
> Is there any way to disable logging accepted messages?

Messages with counts below the log threshold should not be logged.
If they are being logged, then it might be a bug.  Perhaps a DNS
whitelist hit is being treated like a DNSBL hit.  DNSBL hits should
trigger logging even for accepted messages.  I'll investigate.

> 2. Do you have plans for parsing not ASCII domain names?
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punycode

As I understand internationalized domain names, nothing can or should
be done in the DCC client programs for domain names encoded with Punycode.
As with DNS servers and other things below user interface surfaces, the
Punycode version of internationalized domain names must be used in DCC
whitelists, DNS blacklists, and DNS whitelists.

"Just send 8 bits" for SMTP was nonsense 15+ years ago because it did
not not work.   It's still is nonsense and doesn't work, although it
no longer crashes sendmail.  Few except spammers care, because we now
have the ESMTP encoding negotiation as well as MIME.
"Just put non-ASCII into domain names" has also always been and is
still nonsense.  Few except spammers care because we have Punycode.

There might be bugs in the dccifd/dccproc/dccm parsing of URLs containing
Punycode in mail message bodies.  Do you have an example that looks bad?

> 3. Parsing html-encoded domain name problem:
> ---
> DNSBL helper URL
> grand-ptc.ru
> gethostbyname(grand-ptc.ru.dbl.spamhaus.org):
> Unknown server error

That might be a bug.  What was complete %-encoded URL in the mail message?