DCC build options for performance and sizing

Gary Mills mills@cc.umanitoba.ca
Wed Jun 9 03:43:29 UTC 2010

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 01:13:07PM +0000, Vernon Schryver wrote:
> > From: Gary Mills <mills@cc.umanitoba.ca>
> > To: Vernon Schryver <vjs@calcite.rhyolite.com>
> > Cc: dcc@calcite.rhyolite.com
>
> > Can I just upgrade from 32 to 64-bit DCC executables running against
> > the same database, or does the database format change too?
>
> The several DCC binary files must change, but that is all automatic.
> They are rebuilt as needed when their magic strings, lengths,
> or other characteristics are unexpected.

The upgrade from dcc-1.3.122 (32 bit) to dcc-1.3.125 (64 bit) was
flawless.  However, we now have a problem with writes from dccd
saturating the disk.  The I/O bandwidth is often 100% utilized.
Other processes that need to read from the disk are stalling.

This is Solaris 10 5/09.  Neither `-F' nor `-f' are specified in
dcc_conf.  Can I add `-f' someplace to get memory mapped I/O?  Does
this have to be specified for dbclean separately?  Where's the best
place?