DCC build options for performance and sizing

Gary Mills mills@cc.umanitoba.ca
Wed May 12 14:35:13 UTC 2010

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 01:13:07PM +0000, Vernon Schryver wrote:
> > From: Gary Mills <mills@cc.umanitoba.ca>
>
> > Can I just upgrade from 32 to 64-bit DCC executables running against
> > the same database, or does the database format change too?
>
> The several DCC binary files must change, but that is all automatic.
> They are rebuilt as needed when their magic strings, lengths,
> or other characteristics are unexpected.

Indeed this is so.  I just upgraded from dcc-1.3.122 (32 bit) to
dcc-1.3.125 (64 bit) on my test server.  It proceeded like any other
upgrade.  I did get one error on starting dccm:

    May 12 08:46:35 setup01 dccm[27240]: [ID 349477 mail.error] /usr/local/dcc/map is not a DCC map file; fatal error

I've seen that problem before.  Moving it aside and recreating it with:

    # su daemon -c ksh
    # cdcc "load map.txt"

fixed the problem.  The whole system is running nicely now.