DCC build options for performance and sizing

Gary Mills mills@cc.umanitoba.ca
Wed May 12 13:09:40 UTC 2010

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 05:05:14PM +0000, Vernon Schryver wrote:
> > From: Gary Mills <mills@cc.umanitoba.ca>
>
> > As well, there's this build option:
> >
> >    --enable-64-bits   ./configure depends on operating system and hardware
> >    enable 64-bits on Solaris and Linux PowerPC
> >
> > Is this recommended?  I could certainly do that.  What sort of
> > improvement should I expect?
>
> --enable-64-bits works around problems in detecting whether the
> system is a real 64-bit kernel and libraries.
> You should always build dccd for 64 bits if you know the system
> has 64-bit libraries.
> On systems other than Solaris and Linux on PowerPC, it's automatic.

Solaris gives you the choice so you have to specify what you want.
However, I never saw a recommendation for 64 bits.  It was quite easy
to build.  I only had to compile the milter portion of sendmail with
`-m64'.  DCC was equally easy.

Can I just upgrade from 32 to 64-bit DCC executables running against
the same database, or does the database format change too?