DCC build options for performance and sizing

Gary Mills mills@cc.umanitoba.ca
Tue May 11 16:37:24 UTC 2010

The DCC documentation describes two build options appear to affect
performance:

   --with-db-memory=MB   ./configure 64 minimum server database buffer
   size between 32 MBytes and 49152 MBytes
   --with-max-db-mem=MB   ./configure 1920 on 32-bit systems
   49152 on 64-bit systems maximum server database buffer size

I've been building DCC with only this setting:

   --with-db-memory=512

How should I determine reasonable values for those two settings?
I'm running DCC on two servers.  One is an older SPARC machine with
only 2 GB of memory.  It runs Solaris 9.  The other is a recent x86
machine with 64 GB of memory.  It runs Solaris 10.  I am planning to
replace the former one.  I could also move DCC to a newer server.

As well, there's this build option:

   --enable-64-bits   ./configure depends on operating system and hardware
   enable 64-bits on Solaris and Linux PowerPC

Is this recommended?  I could certainly do that.  What sort of
improvement should I expect?

I know that somebody will ask ``what's the problem?''.  There's
nothing urgent, but I do like to keep the system running well.  I do
notice that quick database cleaning is running several times a day,
presumably in response to the database size.