reporting known/unknown recipients

Thu Apr 15 13:50:45 UTC 2010

> From: Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar@fantomas.sk>

> The thing about DCC is, that I've seen it reject some valid "chain" mails
> (jokes etc) that aren't apparently quite correct and apparently not abusive
> in any way. I don't want to reject purely on DCC threshold.

Spam is unsolicited bulk email, but DCC only detects "bulk."
So one needs to combine DCC with a mechanism for detecting "solicited."
Whether a given copy of a bulk mailing is solicited depends on the
individual target, so the best way to detect "solicited" is with
per-user, individual whitelists.  Something like the cgi scripts
in the DCC source can be used (and are at some installations) to
let users handle their own whitelists.  Those scripts are demonstrated
at http://cgi-demo:cgi-demo@www.rhyolite.com/dcc-demo-cgi-bin/
Many other DCC installations use a scoring system such as SpamAssassin.