always seeing a Fuz2, etc. count of 1, no server name in X-DCC- header

Thu Apr 15 04:31:09 UTC 2010

> From: "Chris Aseltine" <ophidian@newsnation.com>

> address since about Dec-97 and my junk-mail file has 2,476 messages since
> March 19th (last time I archived it).  I find this to still be manageable
> "manually".

How do you know your mental filter hasn't had false positives?

Judging from my mail to new or infrequent correspondents (e.g. "about
your question via my web contact form ..." or "your DCC server needs
this adjustment in peering") email among strangers disappears in black
holes more often than it works, apparently most often due to the stupid
accept-everything-and-then-discard-in-bulk-folder spam filters that are
now standard.

> >   "For me, the fuzzy checksums stopped being effective months ago"
>
> Ahh ... so I've been complaining for six years now, right!?

> As for the DCC graphs, believe me, I checked them right away when I was
> getting all Fuz2=1's, because again, if the effective rate "system-wide" is
> 50-75%, and it's not working for me at all, then I figured something must be
> wrong with my setup.  But...
>
> Maybe it will work better for 419's?  Those seem to get through DNSBL's the
> most (for me) and they tend to lack 'customizations', for of course, they
> would render the message unreadable (well, moreso than they already are...)

Do you know that all spam through your system gets Fuz2=1 or did you
generalize from a small sample?

Have you tried turning on dccm logging and using `grep -i fuz2=many`
in /var/dcc/log?

Are you sure that you have not configured dccm to tell sendmail to
reject at "fuz2=many" or a lower threshold and so the reason that
all of the mail in your junk-file has fuz2=1 is that lots of spam
is being rejected with DCC during the SMTP transaction before it gets
to your Perl script?

Have you tried experiments including sending yourself mail?
I use test accounts at Hotmail, Google, as well as various ISPs
and elsewhere for testing.
  - send yourself copies of the same message from elsewhere,
      and see that the Fuz2 count changes appropriately
  - feed the message to `dccproc -t many`, send yourself
      yet another copy, and check for "fuz2=many"
  - send a different message to a DCC spam trap somewhere, and see
      how long before `dccproc -Q` reports "many"