Mail error - IP address not available for greylisting

Wed Apr 14 19:49:54 UTC 2010

> From: Jesper Klit Jensen

> I'm getting this message in my mail.err file "dccif ...IP address not
> available for greylisting" what does this mean?

dccifd has been configured to do greylisting with -G,
perhaps with GREY_CLIENT_ARGS=-Gon in /var/dcc/dcc_conf
but dccifd is not being given the IP addresses of SMTP clients (mail senders).

See `man dccifd` and the discussion of greylisting in dccm and dccifd
at http://www.dcc-servers.net/dcc/greylist.html

Greylisting with dccifd from SpamAssassin makes no sense,
because the SpamAssassin DCC plugin knows nothing about
somehow causing spamd/spamc to temporarly reject a message.

Besides, SpamAssassin works only with entire mail messages
and so at the end of the SMTP DATA command.  Greylisting in
most installations is done before the DATA command.
Dccifd and dccm do greylisting at the end of the DATA command,
but I suspect that does not fit the SpamAssassin model.

To use dccifd or dccm greylisting with SpamAssassin, configure
your mail transfer agent (MTA, often sendmail or postfix) to use
dccm or dccifd (e.g. postfix before-queue filter) during the SMTP
transaction.  Then let SpamAssassin watch for X-DCC headers added
by the MTA and dccifd or dccm.

Among the changes in my version of the SpamAssassin DCC plugin
will be doing queries instead of reports with dccproc or dccifd if
there is already an X-DCC header and telling dccifd to turn off greylisting.