DCC Rejecting Good Mail?

Bob Cobb bobcobb13@hotmail.com
Mon Mar 15 13:15:32 UTC 2010

> Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2010 21:47:52 +0000
> From: vjs@calcite.rhyolite.com
> To: bobcobb13@hotmail.com; dcc@rhyolite.com
> Subject: Re: DCC Rejecting Good Mail?
>
> > From: Bob Cobb
>
> > For some reason DCC is rejecting mail from good domains/emails, even
> > after white listing them in whiteclnt or sendmail's access file.  Here's
> > the error message in the sendmail log,
> >
> > Milter: data, reject=550 5.7.1 OK: Sent to DCC
>
> That suggests that sendmail is telling dccm that the message is spam
> as far as sendmail is concerned and that the default "option MTA-last"
> is in effect so that sendmail overrides the dccm whiteclnt file.
>
> > I've checked the inbox and it doesn't contain the email, so I'm
> > assuming it didn't get delivered.  It weird because, later on other
> > users from that same domain started to experience the same effect.
> > Here's my white list configs:
> >
> > whiteclnt:
> > ok      ip      host.domain.com
> > ok      substitute mail_host host.domain.com
> >
> > access:
> > host.domain.com            DCC:OK
> >
> > host.domain.com - some other mail server
>
> It should not necessary to whitelist the SMTP envelope Mail_From
> domain name in both the sendmail access database and the dccm whiteclnt file.
>
> To whitelist using the sendmail access db, you need to modify sendmail.mc/cf
> with `/usr/var/dcc/libexec/hackmc -O` or equivalent
> and use a line like this without "DCC:"
>
>     host.domain.com            OK
>
> The current result of hackmc has "host DCC:message", "host DCC:reject message"
> and so forth all meaning "sendmail hates host and should tell dccm"

I just went by what was in the FAQ (How do I tell dccm
to not check mail for an entire domain?).  But I guess that configuration has changed so I'll take your advice and switch it to 'OK'.

> In general, see the comments in hackmc.

Initially I ran hackmc without any arguments and then I took your suggestion and went back to have another look.  This time I ran hackmc with the '-O' option.

> If changing the /etc/mail/access (or wherever) file does not fix the
> problem, these questions might give clues:
>
>    - has sendmail.cf/mc been adjusted with hackmc or an equivalent?
> 	If so, with which hackmc args?
>
>    - does /var/dcc/whiteclnt or relevant per-user
>        /etc/mail/userdirs/local/$USER/whiteclnt files contain
>        "option MTA-first" or "option MTA-last" ?
>        (see the main dcc man page concerning those)
>
>   - what do the /var/dcc/log files for the mail messages say?
>

> I'll change the sendmail.cf rules added by hackmc in the next release
> so that "host DCC:OK" is parsed as "host is OK for both sendmail & DCC"
> instead of the current "host is bad and the error message to give dccm is OK"
>

> Vernon Schryver    vjs@rhyolite.com

Thanks,

Keith