Ignore locally sent email - how?

Tue Sep 15 20:33:00 UTC 2009

> From: Steve <links111@smallbusinessconsultingexperts.com>

> I would like for dcc to not consider, transmit, etc. locally sent
> email. By locally, I mean from cron, or other program on the Linux
> host itself. The mail system is postfix, and, we are using dcc via
> Spamassassin and procmail at delivery time.
>
> So, when mail comes from say a cron job, the ONLY received header is

> So, There is no FROM generated by Postfix.

while there might not be an SMTP From: header, I bet there is
an SMTP envelope Mail_From value.

>                                            So, I am not sure how to
> whitelist these emails so when delivery occurs to local mail users,
> they do not get analyzed by dcc.

 1. If you are using dccm with sendmail or dccproc with Postfix,
     you probably know it and don't need to worry about the following:

  1a. Ensure that you are using dccm or dccifd instead of dccproc
       This is not strictly necessary, but it avoids some fidding
       with SpamAssassin.  If you are using SpamAssassin, ensure
       that the DCC home directory is either the default /var/dcc
       that SpamAssissin uses or that SpamAssassin is configured
       to look for your preference.

       Turn on dccifd by setting DCCIFD_ENABLE=on in /var/dcc/dcc_conf

       Ensure that /var/dcc/libexec/rcDCC has symbolic links in /etc/init.d
       rc.d, and so forth, or if you are using recent FreeBSD, ensure
       that start/stop scripts in the current DCC port/packet are installed

  2. turn on debug logging to by ensuring that /var/dcc/log exists and
     there is a "option log-all" line in /var/dcc/whiteclnt (or that
     relevant per-user whiteclnt files contain "option log-all" and the
     matching per-log directories exist).

  3. examine log files of mail messages for headers and other checksums to
     whitelist by adding relevant lines to the main /var/dcc/whiteclnt
     file or a per-user whiteclnt file

     This is often easiest with web pages something like the proof-of-concept
     mentioned on the main DCC web pages at
     http://www.dcc-servers.net/dcc/#cgi-demo and
     http://www.rhyolite.com/dcc/#cgi-demo
     Those cgi scripts can be used on the main whiteclnt file and the
     main log directory.

The short answer is probably to switch SpamAssassin to using dccifd
and to add these lines to /var/dcc/whiteclnt:
ok ip 127.0.0.1
ok ip ::1