dccifd: restart after signal 6

Petar Bogdanovic petar@smokva.net
Sat Jun 6 22:09:55 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jun 06, 2009 at 01:02:56AM +0000, Vernon Schryver wrote:
> > From: Paul Vixie <vixie@isc.org>
> > To: Vernon Schryver <vjs@calcite.rhyolite.com>
> > cc: dcc@rhyolite.com, lists-dcc@cappella.us
>
> > the strange part of all this is, there has been a thread safe superset
> > of libresolv for about 11 years.  just call res_ninit instead of
> > res_init, and res_nsend instead of res_send.  netbsd doesn't know this?
>
> I didn't know that, but now that you mention it, it's in non-NetBSD
> versions of res_state.c, and so probably in NetBSD versions.
> I'd not trust it without reading the whole resolver library because
> "thread" does appear in res_state.c.  But there are plenty of
> pthread.h and similar stains in other files in the
> FreeBSD version of /usr/src/lib/libc/resolv/*
>

> While I'm ranting about NetBSD, I wish they'd get with the program in
> minor ways that wouldn't break anything.  I can't think of an excuse
> for the spews of compiler warnings like these:
>     sign.c:77: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 2 of 'MD5Update' differ in signedness
> Declaring your MD5Update() to take a const void * instead of a const
> unsigned char * should be done even before you tune it.  It should be
> done when you add "const" to the ancient code from the RFC 1321.

I don't understand the need for drama here.  Since I'm on this list,
you've been hammering NetBSD again and again for various reasons.  In
the end it's a volunteer project with a much smaller developer &
userbase then FreeBSD, let alone Linux or any bigger Linux distribution.

If all the details you mentioned really anger you that much, feel free
to open a PR or post to one of the available NetBSD mailing-lists (you
may cc them without being subscribed, btw) and i'm pretty sure you'll
get a reasonable answer like: ``yes, it's suboptimal and insufficiently
documented because nobody had the time to work on it yet''.

In general, the NetBSD developers are a tribe of highly qualified and
friendly perfectionists willing to help whenever they can.  Admitting
obvious and less obvious flaws is also one of their strengths so it's
unlikely that you'll ever have to face lengthy and pointless discussions
about unimportant details.

   Petar Bogdanovic