DCC 1.3.102 doesn't build on FreeBSD 7

Fri Jan 30 07:05:09 UTC 2009

> From: "John R. Levine"
> Subject: DCC 1.3.102 doesn't build on FreeBSD 7

> Build fails with a missing pthread library.  If I add  -lpthread
> to the definition of LDADD, it works fine.
>
> The -lpthread was in LDADD in 1.3.98, didn't get 99-101 so I can't tell
> you when it went away.

I just spent a several hours fighting to do clean-disk install of FreeBSD
7.1-RELEASE i386.  (I needed to that regardless of this problem to see
if it's safe to move to 7.1 on my real systems.)  After a random guess
of `ifconfig xl0 -vlanmtu` fixed NFS, everything including a clean
1.3.102 DCC installation followed by a several `updatedcc`s worked fine.

Is there any chance that the system with the problem has the FreeBSD
threading library confusion?  Some pre-release version of FreeBSD 7.1
had a libc that broke the old threading library.  Because of that mess,
whether -lpthread is used is determined by this fragment from the
./configure script:

    FreeBSD)
        if test 0`/sbin/sysctl -n kern.osreldate 2>/dev/null` -ge 602000; then
	    # use new POSIX threads starting with 6.2
	    appendvar PTHREAD_LDFLAGS -lpthread
	else
	    appendvar PTHREAD_LDFLAGS -pthread
	    # use libc_r on ancient versions
	    if test -s /usr/lib/libc_r.a; then
		appendvar PTHREAD_LIBS -lc_r
	    fi
	fi
	;;

That stuff has not changed since 1.3.92.