DCC lsited domains

Tue Oct 14 15:13:52 UTC 2008

> From: "Thomas Kinghorn - MWEB" <TKinghorn@mweb.com>

> Is there a fool proof way to test if my DCC installation is working?
>
> I was thinking of running a spam-mail through spamassassin to see if it
> gets a hit on the DCC.
> However, I do not know if there is a way to check which domains are
> listed.
>
> Does anyone have a mail I can run against which gets a DCC hit?

The DCC detects bulk mail messages instead of IP addresses or domain names.
The DCC client programs, dccm, dccifd, and dccproc, can check DNS blacklists
for names and IP addresses in the SMTP envelope and message body, but that's
something else.
The commercial DCC version includes support for DCC Reputations which
involves getting hits against IP addresses, but that's also something else.

Spam corpuses are of very limited value.  Spam messages continually
change.  What got a DCC hit last yesterday is likely to not get a
hit tomorrow.  You need current spam.

To get a mail message that was detected as bulk by a DCC client at most
an hour ago, you might look at the demonstration of the proof-of-concept
CGI scripts for per-user controls of DCC filtering and white/blacklists.
See
http://www.rhyolite.com/dcc/#cgi-demo
https://www.rhyolite.com/DCC-demo-cgi-bin
   with user name cgi-demo and password cgi-demo
and then the link to https://www.rhyolite.com/DCC-demo-cgi-bin/list-log
That log is of spam or merely dubious messages sent to this mailing list.

Follow the links to one message and then to a "Literal log file
msg.* contents for reporting or analysis."
Then save a web page of one message to a file with your browser,
delete the DCC log file lines that precede the SMTP headers
and the DCC log file lines that follow the body.

Finally, feed the message to your mail system or to `dccproc -QCi filename`