Newbie question - server flod file

Mon Oct 13 14:05:14 UTC 2008

> From: "Thomas Kinghorn - MWEB" <TKinghorn@mweb.com>

> My question is regarding the flod files on the DCC server and the
> clients
>
> On the server, which servers would I specify as "server peers"

See the mail message I sent on Friday.

> On the clients, I assume you specify the DCC servers you are currently
> implementing.

] From: "Thomas Kinghorn - MWEB" <TKinghorn@mweb.com>

] How would I change the password for the client-ID on a freebsd box where
] DCC was built from ports?

] How would I go about doing this?

It would be easiest to
  1. copy the /var/dcc/ids from your existing DCC servers to your
      new DCC servers.  Ensure that /var/dcc/ids is identical on all
      of your servers.  (or /etc/dcc/ids or wherever you put the DCC
      home directory)

  2. create a new DNS name like dcc.example.com with the IP addresses of
     all 4 of your DCC servers.

  3. Run this command on each DCC client:
        cdcc "add dcc.example.com   RTT-1000 ms  32768 secret"
      were 32768 is a client ID with password SECRET in /var/dcc/ids on all
      of your servers.

Then your DCC clients will load balance themselves among your servers.
Each client will prefer the currently nearest/fastest server.
Each clients monitors the round trip time (RTT) to all know servers.