how to create a map file?

Len Conrad LConrad@Go2France.com
Fri Sep 19 16:35:53 UTC 2008

>> FreeBSD 6.2-Release
>>
>> dcc installed from the FreeBSD pkg, pgk_info shows:
>> dcc-dccd-1.3.86     Distributed Checksum Clearinghouse bulk email detector
>

>> fcntl(F_SETLKW F_WRLCK info /usr/local/dcc/map -1): Invalid argument
>> fcntl(F_SETLKW F_WRLCK info /tmp/map2DO612 -1): Invalid argument
>
>> fcntl(F_SETLKW F_WRLCK info /usr/local/dcc/map -1): Invalid argument
>
>> fcntl(F_SETLKW F_WRLCK info /usr/local/dcc/map -1): Invalid argument
>> fcntl(F_SETLKW F_WRLCK info /tmp/map2DPce1 -1): Invalid argument
>

>Lento Yip at NetFront Information Technology had similar sound problems
>after a cvs update on FreeBSD 6.3 and 7.0 systems.
>
>That symptom happens when the kernel, the libc wrapper for the fcntl,
>and the application (e.g. cdcc) do not agree about the new argument
>added to the fcntl() system call by Doug Rabson.
>
>I bet you have installed part or all of the FreeBSD 7.1 libc.
>
>If that is the problem, then installing the current DCC code might
>solve it.  That would involve recompiling which by itself might be
>sufficient.  It would also involve getting the switch in threading
>code in recent versions that was needed to solve the problem on
>Lento Yip's systems.
>
>The script /var/dcc/libexec/updatedcc (or wherever the DCC libexec
>directory is) should fetch, configure, compile, and try to restart
>the DCC code.

that didn't work.   I DLd the .Z file and compiled from source.

In the Makefile, or Makefile.inc I put home dir at FreeBSD pkg's location of /usr/local/dcc, but the make install created /var/dcc, so I copied from there the cgi-bin/ and libexec/ to base of /usr/local/dcc.

cdcc "info" worked, but map file had no servers.  So I grabbed a map from another server, and map is cool, 11 out of 12 servers working.

Freebsd's rc script "/usr/local/etc/rc.d/dccifd start" showed no errors, but dccifd won't go resident, no dcc in ps list, no dcc in netstat -l.

Params from rc.conf.local:

dccifd_enable="YES"
dccifd_flags="-A -h /usr/local/dcc"

/usr/local/dcc/libexec/start-dccifd -x -h /usr/local/dcc

... doesn't show any errors, but

/usr/local/dcc/libexec/start-dccifd -h /usr/local/dcc

... fails to make dccifd resident.

I see in -x output that logging is to mail.error and find this:

egrep -i 'dccifd' /var/log/maillog

Sep 19 10:18:24 mx1 dccifd[2649]: open(map): Permission denied; fatal error

Not sure which map is referenced and to get something going, I did chmod 777 /var/dcc/map and to /usr/local/dcc/map, but still get the open map error.

thanks,
Len