how to create a map file?

Thu Sep 18 20:43:37 UTC 2008

> From: Len Conrad <LConrad@go2france.com>

> FreeBSD 6.2-Release
>
> dcc installed from the FreeBSD pkg, pgk_info shows:
> dcc-dccd-1.3.86     Distributed Checksum Clearinghouse bulk email detector

> fcntl(F_SETLKW F_WRLCK info /usr/local/dcc/map -1): Invalid argument
> fcntl(F_SETLKW F_WRLCK info /tmp/map2DO612 -1): Invalid argument

> fcntl(F_SETLKW F_WRLCK info /usr/local/dcc/map -1): Invalid argument

> fcntl(F_SETLKW F_WRLCK info /usr/local/dcc/map -1): Invalid argument
> fcntl(F_SETLKW F_WRLCK info /tmp/map2DPce1 -1): Invalid argument

Lento Yip at NetFront Information Technology had similar sound problems
after a cvs update on FreeBSD 6.3 and 7.0 systems.

That symptom happens when the kernel, the libc wrapper for the fcntl,
and the application (e.g. cdcc) do not agree about the new argument
added to the fcntl() system call by Doug Rabson.

I bet you have installed part or all of the FreeBSD 7.1 libc.

If that is the problem, then installing the current DCC code might
solve it.  That would involve recompiling which by itself might be
sufficient.  It would also involve getting the switch in threading
code in recent versions that was needed to solve the problem on
Lento Yip's systems.

The script /var/dcc/libexec/updatedcc (or wherever the DCC libexec
directory is) should fetch, configure, compile, and try to restart
the DCC code.  To get a working map file, I would
   - delete the /usr/local/dcc/map, map.txt, and ids files
   - cd /var/dcc/build/dcc/homedir; make install
          or probably /usr/local/dcc/build/dcc/homedir if that is where
          the FreeBSD pkg puts it