RBL check combines SMTP sender and Mail_From domains

Gary Mills mills@cc.umanitoba.ca
Mon Sep 15 00:04:54 UTC 2008

On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 04:56:59PM +0000, Vernon Schryver wrote:
> > From: Gary Mills <mills@cc.umanitoba.ca>
>
> > I didn't get Vernon's response, or the announcements of new DCC
> > versions, because my DCC was rejecting the mail.  Apparently, it's now
> > passed the bulk mail threshold!
>
> As I always say, wanted bulk mail should be whitelisted.  One of the many
> ways to whitelist this mailing list is by adding the following to a global
> /var/dcc/whiteclnt file, to relevant per-user whiteclnt files, or
> perhaps to a /var/dcc/whitecommon or server /var/dcc/whitelist file:

Of course.  The difficult part is determining which messages should be
whitelisted.  People generally don't notice that e-mail is being
rejected until it stops arriving.  We use a shared whitelist here to
which people can nominate messages after they have been rejected.  The
advantage is that only one recipient of a legitimate bulk mail message
need nominate it.  I suppose I should change things a bit so that the
threshold for logging is considerably lower than the threshold for
rejection.  That way, people could nominate messages in advance of
their being rejected.  I might even put the not-yet-rejected messages
on a different web page.

> In this particular case, it appears that a subscriber to this mailing list
> is reporting it with `dccproc -cMANY` or some other spam-trap mechanism.

People do silly things.  Often somebody will blacklist a mailing list to
which they've subscribed simply because it's easier than unsubscribing.
That could be the case here.  Or, it could be malicious.  Either way,
it makes the copy counts pretty much useless.