What to do about brief text messages with misspelling?

John Levine johnl@iecc.com
Wed Jul 9 20:16:05 UTC 2008

> Except that I want the users to do the work, not me.  They'll complain
> to our Help Desk, but they won't be able to whitelist their own IP
> addresses.  Still, we may have to do this.

POP-before-SMTP would probably do the trick.  If people complain, tell
them to check their mail before sending, if they think that's too painful,
they can always set up SMTP AUTH.  I have about a thousand largely
clueless mail users and this strategy worked pretty well.  After a year or
so it turned out that everyone was doing AUTH so I quietly dropped
POP-before-SMTP.

R's,
John