What to do about brief text messages with misspelling?

Wed Jul 9 00:14:12 UTC 2008

> From: Gary Mills <mills@cc.umanitoba.ca>

> > I agree with John, but a compromise might be to whitelist those clients
> > instead of getting them to change their configurations to use some
> > form of SMTP authentication.  Whitelisting might require more work on
> > the SMTP server side, but little or no work by the client.
>
> Except that I want the users to do the work, not me.  They'll complain
> to our Help Desk, but they won't be able to whitelist their own IP
> addresses.  Still, we may have to do this.

If users had individual /var/dcc/userdirs/local/* directories including
log sub-directories and whiteclnt files,
then you could use something like the proof-of-concept cgi scripts in the
DCC source to let users see what is being rejected and then whitelist by IP
address, envelope sender, and so forth.
There is a demonstration of those scripts at
https://www.rhyolite.com/DCC-demo-cgi-bin
with user name cgi-demo and password cgi-demo

> > There is another possibility.  I've long wondered about changing the
> > DCC client code support for DNS blacklists to have two sets of blacklists.
> > Individual users can enable or disable DNSBL checks for their mail done

> That won't work here because we use a single shared whitelist, to
> which all users contribute.  That's because most users don't want to
> do the tedious work of whitelisting messages; they just want the spam
> to stop.  Yes, there is quite a range of users in terms of spam
> control.  Some want fine control.  Some want a `spam folder' where
> they can look for missing messages.  Some want us to do all the work.

I think users who want extra services such as executive secretary mail
filtering such pay extra.  Of course that idea is anathema in the
political environment at most academic organizations.