What to do about brief text messages with misspelling?

Gary Mills mills@cc.umanitoba.ca
Tue Jul 8 02:58:00 UTC 2008

I had a complaint the other day from one of our users who is receiving
many stock pump spam messages.  Here's a sample message body:

  Thursday Jul 3
  Loa"d up your tradingplatfo'rms

  Entity': HarrsixEpl
  Issue: H - X - P - N
  Las't: 0.02
  Before next week-end: 0.09

  Read about. the strong story behind it
  You may make a killing with this one and we're happy for you
  Starting 03/07/08

These messages are in plain text.  Because of the misspelling, DCC
registers a count of one for each of its three checksums.  They come
from all over the place, Peru and Viet Nam in the samples he provided.
The computers seem to be compromised with the storm bot.  All are
listed now on the XBL blocklist (CBL actually), which we use through
DCC, but must have not been listed at the time.

What else can we do about this spam?  The sending computers are all
listed on the PBL, which we don't currently use.  Is this our only
hope?  I'm reluctant to use that blocklist because we have clients on
networks that are listed there.  Using it would force clients to use
authentication to send e-mail, generating complaints from legitimate
users.  Yes, we may even have legitimate users in Peru and Viet Nam.