OS and architecture migration for DCC

Gary Mills mills@cc.umanitoba.ca
Wed Jun 11 03:07:50 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 02:05:49AM +0000, Vernon Schryver wrote:
> > From: Gary Mills
>
> > I'm using the same version of DCC in both cases, but recompiled for
> > the Solaris 10 x86 server.  On that server, I started with a DCC
> > directory (/usr/local/dcc) that was a copy of the one from Solaris 9
> > SPARC.  I then reinstalled DCC so that the executables would all be
> > x86 ones.  The daemons logged some interesting errors, presumably due
> > to the byte order, but eventually seemed to run normally.  This was
> > for dccd:
> >
> > Jun  9 16:03:02 setup01 dccd[1198]: [ID 702911 mail.error] dcc_db has page size 16128 incompatible with 15654912 in dcc_db.hash
>
> Don't do that.  Instead, copy the only the ASCII files.

Well, that was certainly cleaner.  The databases are empty with an
isolated server, of course.  It will be adequate for me to test dccm
with sendmail.

> > With single dccd and grey servers, is there any other way to do this
> > migration and still maintain the data in the databases?
>
> No, there is no way.  Don't bother to waste time copying the database
> files among systems.

Okay, I see.

> While you have both old and new systems running, you will want both
> changes to be echoed on all systems.  So you will want to get flooding
> going among the old and new systems.  With flooding, just let the new
> system act as if it suffered a disk error that trashed the databases.

So with two servers with both dccd and grey databases and floods
between them, I should just start the upgraded server up with no
databases.  They will get initialized during startup and populated
from the other server.  Is that the correct procedure?  Of course,
there are external floods as well.  The client (dccm) would initially
communicate with the other server if I started it first and the
mapping file was correct.