Fuz2 false positive

Fri Apr 11 19:05:38 UTC 2008

> From: "www.isp2dial.com" <jak@isp2dial.com>

> I don't think so.  I think your fuz2 algorithm is bogus.
>
> Thanks for the prompt reply.

It can be entirely reasonable to decide that DCC is not useful or
appropriate for a site, but that reason is itself bogus.  Of course
there could be bugs in the body checksum code, but in this case it is
practicallly certain that the other message received somewhere at
08/04/10 20:41:36 UTC and reported with an identical FUZ2 checksum and
a count of MANY was extremely similar to the mail message at issue here.

If one were certain that none of the mailing lists at
http://www.vpsville.ca/forum have unwilling subscribers, including
subscribers who are unclear on a concept or two and reporting mail as
spam that they subscribed to, then one might change the boilerplate of
that not really false positive message so that future messages are not
practically identical to messages from other sites using the same "forum"
software and that do have unwilling subscribers.

Regardless of the details in this case, it would be best to turn off
the DCC client at 69.60.113.26 and demand a refund of the purchase price.