Fuz2 false positive

Fri Apr 11 16:57:14 UTC 2008

> From: "www.isp2dial.com" <jak@isp2dial.com>

> I am testing DCC, via dccproc in spamassassin.
>
> I was surprised by a hit with the following message, since only a few
> people read that list.
>
> =46uz2 looks like a false positive.
>
> I don't want to whitelist every mailing list my users read.  If I had
> to do that, I could not justify using DCC.  But if I can disable Fuz2,
> I may consider that.  Is it possible?

> X-DCC-dcc-servers.net-Metrics: daves 102; Body=3D3 Fuz1=3D3 Fuz2=3Dmany

> >To view unread replies go to =
> http://www.vpsville.ca/forum/index.php?t=3Drview&goto=3D37#msg_37
> >
> >If you do not wish to receive further notifications about replies in =
> this topic, please go here: =
> http://www.vpsville.ca/forum/index.php?t=3Drview&th=3D22&notify=3D1&opt=3D=
> off

If DCC detected that bulk mail message as bulk, then it was not a
false positive.  To distinguish solicited from unsolicited bulk
email, you need either local, per-user whitelists or something like
SpamAssassin's scoring for DCC hits.  I recommend whitelists, because
one user's valuable mailing list is another user's offensive spam.
However, most DCC installations use SpamAssassin.

Some installations use CGI scripts similar to those included in the DCC
source and demonstrated at
https://www.rhyolite.com/DCC-demo-cgi-bin
with user name cgi-demo and password cgi-demo
to let users maintain their own white- and blacklists, turn greylisting
on or off, set DCC and DCC Reputation thresholds, and so on.

In this particular case, the fact that particular mail message has a
FUZ2 count of "many" implies that a very similar message was received
by a spam trap or reported as spam by a human recipient.  That suggests
that it might be wise to clean that all mailing lists involving
"www.vpsville.ca" and ensure that they are all configured to confirm
subscription requests with email messages from new subscribers.  To put
it politely, there might be some unwilling subscribers.