Experience with DKIM signatures and DCC

Sat Mar 29 22:21:36 UTC 2008

> From: John Levine <johnl@iecc.com>

> I agree with Vernon that in general reputation is pretty hard since the
> bad guys have an unlimited supply of new domains.  That's why it makes
> more sense to start with whitelists, since good guys tend to hold still.

Whitelists are pain, and especially when not modulated by other
information such as a DCC bulk indication or some sort of bad
reputation.  For example, judging from my tests sending mail to a
test account with default settings, Hotmail assumes mail from
strangers is spam.  (It's no surprised that junk advertising from
Microsoft to a Hotmail mailbox is evidently not from a stranger.)
If you are a conspiracy theory fan, you might see such policies as
part of an effort to box people back into the old media model of a
few government/corporate senders and zillions of passive receivers.