Updating best practices

Thu Mar 6 04:54:51 UTC 2008

> From: Ugo Bellavance <ugob@lubik.ca>

> 	I thought about using a simple script to update my DCC installation
> once a week.
>
> 	Something like:
> ============================
> #! /bin/bash
> #
>
> # Lets not all hit the servers at the same time sleep $RANDOM
> sleep $RANDOM
>
> # update dcc
> /var/dcc/libexec/updatedcc -K
> =============================
>
> Does it make sense?

Yes.

I've thought of adding mechanism to `updatedcc -K` to sleep a random
number of minutes between 0 and 30, but it does not seem necessary yet.

Recent versions have a hack that keeps `updatedcc -K` from working more
often than once per week.  That has solved some excess bandwidth problems
I was having at one server.

>                      Is there more doc than the --help switch?  It is
> not very usefull:

There are comments in the script itself.

> updatedcc: [-xvU] [-e ENV=VAL] [-c CONF=VAL] [-s base-URL] [-V x.y.z]\
>          [-C pfile] [-T make-tgt]
>
> -K is not even there...

thank you for pointing that out.  I will fix it.