DCC Rep Problem

Fri Sep 21 20:22:11 UTC 2007

> From: William Taylor

> Having a problem with DCC giving me a bad rep with my setup.

What do you mean by a bad rep?  Are you a licensee with the DCC
Reputation code?

>   MX		IP	mx1.domain.com
>   MXDCC 	IP	mx1.domain.com
>
> I get errors including it in the whitelist file when running cron-dccd

The server whitelist is a bad idea I've been quietly trying to push down
the memory hole.  It probably would have made no sense even if DCC had
been used as expected before I started writing the code.

But are you running a DCC server?  My records do not show a DCC
server at napanet.net.  The whitelist file is used only by the DCC
server daemon.

>                                                                        but I
> also have it in my whiteclnt file with no luck.

What happens when you put those lines in /var/dcc/whiteclnt?

>                                                 Do I need to use IP Addresses
> instead of names if my MX records have multiple A records?

No, you do not need to use IP addresses.  All of the IP addresses
that DNS says define a name are added to the whiteclnt.dccw hash table.

>  Whats the proper format to exclude those headers and how do I check that it
> works?

I often use
   dccproc -c all,0, -E -l/tmp -w whiteclnt -CQ -i /tmp/mail.msg
to check whitelist entries.  `dccproc -C` emits the checksums.
"-E -c all,0" puts log files in /tmp
If MX or MXDCC whitelist entries are working, then the "IP:" lines in
log files result from parsing and skipping Received headers until an
IP address that is not listed is found.

Adding "-t all,0," (two commas) to DCCIFD_ARGS in /var/dcc/dcc_conf
will set the dccifd logging threshold to 0.

Are you using a fairly current version of the DCC source with support for
MX and MXDCC whiteclnt entries or one of the older than ancient versions
distributed by a repackager?

Are you sure SpamAssassin is using dccifd instead of dccproc?  If
SpamAssassin cannot find the dccifd socket, it uses dccporoc.
Dccproc defaults to no whiteclnt file and so must be given '-w whiteclnt'

SpamAssassin also uses dccproc if dccifd is not running.  Have you set
DCCIFD_ENABLE=on in dcc_conf and linked /var/dcc/libexec/rcDCC into
your rc directories?  Versions of dccproc that are not too old automatically
start dccifd when dccproc is used a lot, but unless dccproc is given -w,
that won't use the whiteclnt file at first.