change to DCC license

Jeff Mincy mincy@rcn.com
Tue Sep 18 15:11:30 UTC 2007

   From: Vernon Schryver <vjs@calcite.rhyolite.com>
   Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 14:21:54 GMT

   After yet another go around with repackagers of the free version
   of the DCC source who insist on break--er--improving it and then
   distributing their version under my name, I'm thinking of changing
   the license to say:

    * Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software without
    * changes for any purpose with or without fee is hereby granted, provided
    * that the above copyright notice and this permission notice appear in all
    * copies and any distributed versions or copies are either unchanged
    * or not called anything similar to "DCC" or "Distributed Checksum
    * Clearinghouse".

   What do you think?

I'd prefer that the name of the 'improved' repackaged versions with
minor changes be based on DCC with a different suffix or prefix.
Fewer buzzwords and easier to evaluate.

Also, shouldn't there be restrictions on modified versions sharing
checksums with the DCC network?

Out of curiosity, what are some of the improvements?
-jeff