dccifd process stuck (using all available CPU)

Mon Aug 27 18:30:17 UTC 2007

> From: Andrew Cunningham

> I then updated  ( using  /var/dcc/libexec/updatedcc) to  DCC 1.3.58
> and soon noticed that a 'dccifd' process was using 100% of the CPU
> and would never die ( note CPU time of  2387:52.34)

To make progress fixing this problem, I need some hints about what dccifd
is doing.  The best way is to get a stack trace:

  1. rebuild with -g by running
       /var/dcc/libexec/updatedcc -eDBGFLAGS=-g

  2. wait until dccifd goes crazy

  3. generate a core file with `kill -10` or an equivlent signal

  4. obtain stack trace with
       gdb /var/dcc/libexec/dccifd corefile
              corefile might be something like /var/dcc/dccifd.core
         bt

thanks,