server itself

Tue Jun 12 14:32:08 UTC 2007

> From: "Marek Cermak"

> is it possible to run dcc server on a machine without big amount of mail?
> It would serve only as a mirror or something like that, fetch data from other
> server/s and provide dcc service to others.

How many mail messages does your mail system process each day?

A mail system that processes fewer than 100,000 mail messages per day
uses less of its own bandwidth and the bandwidth of other DCC servers
by using the public DCC servers.  (Note that is mail messages instead
of addressees.)  Each mail message needs a DCC transaction that requires
about 100 bytes, and so 100,000 mail messages/day imply about 10
MBytes/day of DCC client-server traffic.  Each DCC server needs to
exchange "floods" or streams of checksums with 4 other servers.  Each
flood is currently about 650 MBytes/day for a current total of about
2.6 GBytes/day.

When normally installed by the included Makefiles, DCC clients are
configured to use the public DCC servers without any additional
configuration, except to open firewalls to port 6277.

If you do need a DCC server, it should have at least 3 GByte of RAM
reserved for the dccd process.  4 GByte is not too much.  It should
have 4-12 GByte of available disk space.

Vernon Schryver    vjs@rhyolite.com

P.S. I assume that you have read the license on the DCC source at
http://www.rhyolite.com/anti-spam/dcc/dcc-tree/LICENSE and that your
organization does not sell spam filtering products or services to other
than your local users.  If that assumption is wrong, please do not use
any of the DCC source until after obtaining a commercial license from
Commtouch at http://www.commtouch.com/ or mailto:nospam@commtouch.com