whitelist trouble

Gary Mills mills@cc.umanitoba.ca
Mon Apr 16 15:13:16 UTC 2007

On Thu, Apr 12, 2007 at 04:46:46PM -0700, Kelsey Cummings wrote:
> I'm wonder if anyone has any ideas on how to effectively deal with
> whitelisting moving targets like Outlook's Read Receipts or AVG's
> signatures.  These specifically cause me ongoing pain, every time a new
> version comes out the signatures change, etc, etc.

Yes, we have the same problem.  Unfortunately, DCC's behavior in these
cases is mysterious to users because they don't consider the messages
to be spam, or even bulk mail, and don't understand why they get rejected.

It's partly an issue of `invisible content'.  Users never see all of the
MIME and HTML goo in an e-mail message.  Some form of checksumming
could ignore this as well, and perhaps it already does.  That way,
completely empty messages could be given special treatment.

Alternatively, is there something in the invisible portion of these
troublesome messages that could be used to identify them and exclude
them from DCC rejection?

Otherwise, we would need some automated procedure to detect these
messages and whitelist them by their conventional checksums.