Reason for rejected message ?

Daniel Gehriger gehriger@linkcad.com
Thu Mar 1 21:48:36 UTC 2007

Vernon Schryver wrote:
>>> An oddity I saw while installing SUSE and then trying to debug these
>>> problems was that the X server ate up 97.2% of a CPU for hours on end.
>> That leaves 2.8% to dcc and other tasks. That's plenty on a modern system...
>
> for some value of "plenty"...I did some little grumbling about what
> SUSE had done to make gcc so much slower compiliing the DCC source
> before I noticed the X craziness.

;-)

> Are there any more clues about the original problem of spurious dccifd
> rejections?  I looked at a lot of code and shot down a lot of theories
> about how it might happen, including my first theory that quote problem
> in dcc_conf was making something look like a spam threshold of 0.

As far as I can tell, there is no quote problem. My dcc_conf is based on
the default one, and I'm sure the threshold setting is fine (it works ok
with older versions).

I first thought that maybe all those messages accidentally hit a
user-defined "checksum many" rule, but that's not the case. I only have
one checksum that immediately triggers a 'many', and removing it doesn't
change anything.

> How often does it happen?
> Is there anything like a reproducable test case?
> I've assumed that it happens even when the Fuz2 checksum is computed.
>     Is that true?

Yes.

> Does it happen when the SMTP client IP address is not marked "mx"?

Yes, definitely. If I use my DSL connection (not an MX) to send myself
an e-mail w/o using a whitelisted sender address, it's immediately
rejected even though neither a DNSBL or a checksum limited is hit.

>    (There is a separate bug there that I have reproduced and think I
>    understand.  You should never see "mx" on the "IP:" line except when
>    there are Received: lines in the message body that make sense.  That
>    leads me to ask "Are the Yahoo Received lines standard or do I need
>    to add yet more complications to the Received line parsing?)

The look standard to me, but then again, the syntax specs for the SMTP
protocol is very recursive, so it's difficult to check this manually:

   by mta186.mail.mud.yahoo.com with SMTP; Wed, 28 Feb 2007 19:22:27 -0800

- Daniel