DCCM looping

Rob McMahon Rob.McMahon@warwick.ac.uk
Tue Feb 20 11:05:14 UTC 2007

Vernon Schryver wrote:
> I have a vague hope that an infinite loop related to another MIME
> problem that I noticed and fixed late last year might solve these cases
> of dccm looping.
>
> I'm trying to get some things cleaned up so that I can make a release
> today or perhaps tomorrow with that fix as well as the other recently
> reported MIME problem.

We'd seen this on a few occasions running 2.3.45, with one or two
threads getting stuck.  It wasn't giving us much trouble, with a quick
restart fixing the problem for a number of days.  Until this weekend
when all hell broke loose, all email was locked solid when I came in on
Monday morning, and dccm wouldn't stay up for more than a few minutes
without turning back into a total CPU hog.  Installing 2.3.51 appears to
have fixed the problem.

So: has anyone else seen this? I'm wondering if it might have been a
deliberate DoS attack.  Do we know what qualities of a message caused
the problem?  The other alternative is that it wasn't malicious at all
but was a mass mailing of (badly formed?) email.

Cheers,

Rob

--
E-Mail:	Rob.McMahon@warwick.ac.uk		PHONE:  +44 24 7652 3037
Rob McMahon, IT Services, Warwick University, Coventry, CV4 7AL, England