DCC version 1.3.47/2.3.47 released

Sun Feb 4 23:01:56 UTC 2007

> From: Gary Mills

> That confusion has just been cleared up, in the upcoming release of
> Sun's compilers:
>
> 	http://blogs.sun.com/quenelle/entry/goodbye_xarch_amd64_hello_m64

Given the caveat about the requirement for special fiddling with LIBS
to pick the right libraries, I'd say the confusion has been reduced
but not eliminated.  For third parties things are still hopelessly
muddled.  It's not as if other UNIX vendors such as the outfit on the
opposite side of the Mtn.View dump from Sun's old engineering buildings
hadn't figured out to let a single switch pick among 32-bit,
32-bit-program/64-bit-data, and all 64-bits with a single compiler
switch 15 years ago.   Oh, well.

> They're free, by the way.

that's good for Sun customers, but doesn't help me.

> > I think in the next release I'll

Instead I"ve decided to give up on 64-bit Solaris and let individual
system operators figure it out.

> I built that next release today.  It built cleanly, with no change to
> my normal configure command.

That's good to hear.