802 copies of dccm running

Mon Dec 18 21:56:44 UTC 2006

> From: Gary Mills

> Reverting to the old configuration brought it back to normal.  I'm
> using dcc-1.3.31.  Might this work better in a later version?

The next version, 1.3.46, will be more agressive in shutting down
unneeded helper processes.  It will also have -Bset:maxjobs=X to override
the default limit on the number of helper processes.  The default is
the same as the -j value.

I think the current version, 1.3.45, has some fixes related to helpers
waiting too long for DNS answers.

I don't understand why the load average on the system would be significantly
increased by the dccm DNS helper processes.  All they do is call the DNS
resolver library.  Going from 1 sendmail process plus 1 dccm thread to
1 sendmail process plush 1 dccm thread plus 1 dccm/DNS process does not
sound like a prescription for a 12X increase in load average since only
one of the 2 or 3 mechanisms will be runable at any time.

Do you have any machinery that might speed up DNS blacklist lookups
such as rndsbl?