802 copies of dccm running

Gary Mills mills@cc.umanitoba.ca
Mon Dec 18 20:53:27 UTC 2006

I did a test of DNS blacklisting with DCC over the weekend.  At first,
it seemed to do exactly what I need.  However, I noticed at one point
that the load on the e-mail server was over 12.  On a weekend, it's
generally around 1.  When I checked, I found 802 `dccm' processes
running.  The number of processes would cycle up and down, but only
rise as high as 802.  `dccm' is running with the `-j 800' option.  I
assume that these were DNS helpers.  The command-line arguments of one
was:

  # pargs 19377
  19377:  /usr/local/dcc/libexec/dccm -B xbl.dnsbl,any -B set:helper=35,105
  argv[0]: /usr/local/dcc/libexec/dccm
  argv[1]: -B
  argv[2]: xbl.dnsbl,any
  argv[3]: -B
  argv[4]: set:helper=35,105

Here are the configuration changes I made for the test:

  # diff dcc_conf~ dcc_conf
  47c47
  < DNSBL_ARGS=
  ---
  > DNSBL_ARGS="'-Bset:rej-msg=5.7.1 550 id %s from %s rejected. See http://www.spamhaus.org/xbl/' -Bxbl.dnsbl,any"
  62c62
  < DCCM_USERDIRS=
  ---
  > DCCM_USERDIRS=/var/dcc/ud

Reverting to the old configuration brought it back to normal.  I'm
using dcc-1.3.31.  Might this work better in a later version?