why tempfail?

Tue Nov 28 15:10:04 UTC 2006

> From: Eugene Filatov

> I increased -jX option for dccm and it seems that problem has gone.

Are you sure -jX had any effect give your low RLIMIT_NOFILE value?
`dccm -d` creates a system log message that includes the effective
limit and whether RLIMIT_NOFILE or something else is responsible for it.

> 2. Is there any sense to increase RLIMIT_NOFILE? And where is the right
> place to increase it?  For my system RLIMIT_NOFILE=324. I'm afraid that
> this value is too low for my ammount of mail.

324 seems very low.

Every flavor of UNIX-like system seems to have its own way to set
the per-process and per-user resource limits.  /etc/login.conf is
fairly popular.