Feature request: subdirectory prefixes for per-user log-directories

Vincent Schonau vince@niet.net
Sat Nov 25 10:36:54 UTC 2006

Hi,

On my courier-mta installation I have a number of 'virtual domains'. One
of the ways in which Courier implements virtual domains is to rewrite
recipients to a 'user-ext', where 'user' is a local user and 'ext' turns
into the local-part of the mailbox address (ie: postmaster@example.com
turns in to user-postmaster). The perl code I use to interface DCC with
courier tells dccifd what the 'user' account is, for use with per-user
log-dirs, whitelisting and settings.

In practice, this means I have a per-domain 'log' directory created by
dccifd.

Unfortunately, some of my domains receive a lot of mail. Currently, my
main domain is being forged in spam on a large enough scale that I get
tens of thousands of backscatter bounces a day.

This causes the log-directory for this domains 'user' account to grow so
large that I've temporarily had to turn off logging for this domain -
it's become unmanageable both via the cgi-scripts and directly
manipulating the files, due to the size of the directory.

So, my feature request is: please allow subdirectory prefixes to be
specified for per-user log-directories.

Thanks!