DCC 1.3.43 upgrade

Tue Nov 14 17:17:31 UTC 2006

> From: "Jeff A. Earickson"

> I went from 42 to 43, and all I got in my syslogs was:
>
> no valid DCC server hostnames
>
> what did I miss???

That message indicates that none of the host names in /var/dcc/map
(if any) resolved to IP addresses.

What does `cdcc info` say?  Are there any names in it?

Unless you are running a local DCC server, the names of the public
DCC servers should be present.

Unless you deleted the default entry for 127.0.0.1, there should be
at least one IP adddress in /var/dcc/map, which would prevent that
message.  Therefore, I suspect you somehow deleted everything in
/var/dcc/map instead of having DNS problems preventing the resolution
of dcc1.dcc-servers.net, dcc2, etc.

How did you do the upgrade?  Did you use /var/dcc/libexec/updatedcc?
Do your ./configure options include settings for the directory names?

The easiest recovery is probably to
  1. use `cdcc info` to record any interesting local values from /var/dcc/map
  2. move aside /var/dcc/map /var/dcc/map.txt and /var/dcc/ids
  3. run /var/dcc/libexec/updatecc again
      this will run `make install` in build/dcc/homedir which will
      create new  map, map.txt, and ids files
  4. copy any important data from the saved files of step #1 to the
       new files.  Note that you must use `cdcc add` or `cdcc load`
       to copy to /var/dcc/map.  Note also that if you run a local
       DCC or greylist server, the passwords in /var/dcc/ids must
       be the same as the passwords in /var/dcc/map as seen with `cdcc info`