dcc servers is filtered

Wed Nov 1 02:31:37 UTC 2006

> From: "Valery V. Bobrov" <vb@uvttk.ru>

> ------=_NextPart_000_0188_01C6FBF7.E92B49E0
>
> Dear Sir or Madam!

Please do not send HTML+MIME encrypted messages to this mailing list
unless absolutely necessary.  When you include both text/plain and
text/html, then either the text/html omits important information or the
text/html version is not needed.

Messages with such headers are held for moderator approval, which
can take a while if he is busy or more grumpy than usual.

As you can see from
http://www.rhyolite.com/pipermail/dcc/2006/003300.html
the archive software for this list does not undersatnd HTML mail.

Finally, sending HTML mail to strangers can be unfriendly.  HTML
mail is the basis for privacy violating mail reader tracking.

> I have been using dcc with SA.
>
> I notice that dcc does not work.
> I made some tests and I find out that dcc servers filtered.
> My route is 213.129.96/19
> My AS is 24923
> Compane Transtelecom
> Can you help me with that problem and why the servers are filtered?

I suspect that problem is a familiar result of not following the official
instructions.  For reasons I can't guess, many people advise manually
changing the /var/dcc/map file from the content built by installing the
official DCC source.  The bad advice is to manually pick server host
names from the acknowledgement list of public server operators at
http://www.rhyolite.com/anti-spam/dcc/#public-servers
or
http://www.dcc-servers.net/dcc/#public-servers

If anonymous users of the public DCC servers instead keep the installed
/var/dcc/map file or follow the instructions at the end of the list to
the add the names dcc1 through dcc5.dcc-servers.net to the map file,
they will not notice when one is down.  The DCC client code keeps track
of which server is fastest or closest among the servers that are up.

The solution in this particular case is to be patient until
z.dcc-servers.net is running or put the dcc1 - dcc5.dcc-servers.net names
into the /var/dcc/map file.

I guess the only fix for the general problem is to remove the server
host names from the acknowledgement list.  I fear that will cause the
same mistaken third parties to maintain their own lists, but what else
can I do?