dccd issues

Thu Oct 26 03:20:29 UTC 2006

> From: Kelsey Cummings

> I run 4 dcc servers and have run into something confusing.  On 2 out of the
> four servers that run dccd the RSS of the dccd process is 1.6g with a
> vmsize of ~2g.  On the other 2, the RSS is only a couple hundred mb where
> the vmsize is also ~2g.  It appears that on these two servers dccd is also
> trashing the disks pretty hard whereas on the other two, little or no disk
> activity is shown.  The only difference that I've been able to figure out
> so far is that the two servers that with the lower RSS are public servers.
> The other two are not but are configured identically.
>
> Any ideas here?

Since the 4 boxes are similar, and the 4 dccd process have similar
virtual sizes, the reason that their resident sets differ can only be
(a) one pair of servers is hardly working and so their residents are
small or (b) other work is fighting for RAM and squeezing the pages out
memory.  Lots of disk activity is consistent with thrashing, so
my guess is (b).  I find `top` for seeing what's going on.
And sometimes `vmstat 1`  Or the local UNIX flavor's equivalents.