Can't exec dccproc - I think the paths are messed up...

Jeff Mincy mincy@rcn.com
Thu Oct 26 01:12:42 UTC 2006

On 25 Oct 2006, Ken@jmtg.com wrote:

> I am trying to install DCC on a CentOS 4.3 system, which is almost
> identical to RHEL4 QU3.  DCC will be running in conjunction with
> Amavisd in a chrooted environment.  The instructions that I'm
> working from are for OpenBSD and so some of the file paths are a
> little different between the two.  The instructions show to
> configure and make without any command-line switches, just using
> defaults.  Afterwards, the files are supposed to be manually copied
> from /var/dcc to /var/amavisd/var and from /usr/local/bin/dccproc to
> /var/amavisd/usr/bin (/var/amavisd is the chroot jail).
>
> When I start amavisd in debug mode I see the following in the log.
> The problem is the sixth line down:
>
> [3141] dbg: dcc: dccproc is available: /usr/bin/dccproc
>
> [3141] dbg: dcc: got response: Can't exec "/usr/bin/dccproc": No such
> file or directory at
> /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5/Mail/SpamAssassin/Util.pm line 1382.
>
> [3141] dbg: info: leaving helper-app run mode
>
> [3141] dbg: dcc: check failed: no X-DCC returned (did you create a map
> file?): Can't exec "/usr/bin/dccproc": No such file or directory at
> /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5/Mail/SpamAssassin/Util.pm line 1382.
>

> I think that the problem is that dccproc is trying to open
> /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5/Mail/SpamAssassin/Util.pm and
> that's a bad path (with the "site_perl" in the middle like
> that.  How do I adjust dccproc to reference the correct path?

You are misreading the error message.  Those 'dbg:' messages are
printed by SpamAssassin.  SpamAssassin is executing dccproc.  There
is something wrong with /usr/bin/dccproc - Perhaps a bad link or the
file does not exist or bad permissions (etc).

Either make sure that dccproc is correctly installed in /usr/bin, or
change the dcc_path in your SpamAssassin local.cf configuration file, eg:
  dcc_path /usr/local/bin/dccproc

You should be able to feed a message by hand into dccproc, eg:
  /usr/bin/dccproc -H -x 0 < msg
and you should get a X-DCC header.

-jeff