Can't exec dccproc - I think the paths are messed up...

Thu Oct 26 00:11:14 UTC 2006

> From: "Ken Morley" <Ken@jmtg.com>

Please avoid sending Microsoft MIME encoded messages to this mailing
list, especially not useless encryptions consisting of two copies, one
almost plaintext and other ostensibily of the same content.
Those wanting to keep their mail from being tagged as naughty by various
spam filters do not use MIME enhancements except when really needed.

> ------_=_NextPart_001_01C6F88A.A4737766
>
> I am trying to install DCC on a CentOS 4.3 system, which is almost
> identical to RHEL4 QU3.  DCC will be running in conjunction with Amavisd
> in a chrooted environment.  The instructions that I'm working from are
> for OpenBSD and so some of the file paths are a little different between
> the two.  The instructions show to configure and make without any
> command-line switches, just using defaults.  Afterwards, the files are
> supposed to be manually copied from /var/dcc to /var/amavisd/var and
> from /usr/local/bin/dccproc to /var/amavisd/usr/bin (/var/amavisd is the
> chroot jail).

Any instructions that involve manually copying files sound problematic
to me.  It does seem that the third parties that repackage the DCC
source usually ignore the documentation in favor of manual steps or
pillaging through it with sed.  For example, if you want dccproc installed
in /var/amavisd/usr/bin, why not tell the DCC ./configure script that's
what you want?  However, please do not consider that serious advice.
I do not understand your goals or problems well enough to comment.

Your best bet for useful advice is probably to consult wherever you
obtained the DCC source.  Perhaps an OpenBSD or Amavisd mailing list
would be helpful.

Failing that, please consider reading the DCC documentation.
DCC ./configure parameters such as --with-installroot=DIR described in the
INSTALL.html or INSTALL.txt files in the DCC source might be relevant.

> I think that the problem is that dccproc is trying to open
> /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5/Mail/SpamAssassin/Util.pm and that's a
> bad path (with the "site_perl" in the middle like that.  How do I adjust
> dccproc to reference the correct path?

I think that none of dccproc tries open any SpamAssassin Perl files.
As far as I can recall, I wrote almost all of the DCC code and all
of dccproc.c.